Monday, December 1, 2008

Heavy.....

Life and the Universe have a very wicked sense of humor. They seem to get pleasure out of some things that to you and I could be considered cruel, but then again, some humans get pleasure from similar circumstances as well. There are times when I'm in a contemplative mood where I think "why is this happening?" or "for what possible reason has something occurred?"

Today is World Aids Day and before you all start rolling your eyes and you let out a heavy sigh, don't worry, I'm not about to get on my soap box, I just want to say that everybody who is close to me has in some way been directly or indirectly affected by HIV/Aids throughout the years. I, myself have been affected by it directly. And right at this very moment I am feeling thankful, relieved and above all happy that I and my friends are alive. We were all "out and proud" in the hey day of HIV. We all lived the hedonistic life and thankfully, and above all luckily we are all still here to talk about it. To talk about and to still live the fun times and to reminisce about the struggles and the sadness we have lived through. I think many Gay men would agree with me when I say that apart from our biological families, we also have our other family. Our friends who we have known and loved for many years. The family we had and needed when the real one couldn't quite understand us. I guess many of us, gay or straight have that "family".

Because it's World Aids Day, I just saw the "Grim Reaper" advertisement on TV. That commercial I had not seen in so many years and it still packs a punch. A very forceful punch and it still very much holds its own in todays fancy advertising world. I think it was possibly ahead of its time. Let's hope that there is never a need to relaunch that campaign again. But then again, maybe that campaign should never really have ended.

So thats it. Thats all I have to say tonight. I guess I have to throw a heavy one in every now and then. I don't want the blogging world to think of me as totally shallow. But I will say this, apart from the happiness and relief I mentioned, there is also a touch of melancholy in me tonight.....I guess for obvious reasons.....

4 comments:

The Mutant said...

Never be afraid to say the things that need to be said. HIV/AIDS isn't going to go away because people stop mentioning it, and by the looks of the stats infection rates are on the rise so good on you for calling attention to something we should never be allowed to be complacent about

Monty said...

That was an excellent post! If you were here, I'd give you a hug! A big hug! :-)

scottiejt said...

Thanks fellas :)

Anonymous said...

I must say that my time working at BGF highlighted the fact that HIV/AIDS has not gone away despite the dwindling ad campaigns and general media attention in Australia.
I saw first hand how important "family" can be and how disabling an absence of support truly is.
I am also conscious of another more disturbing phenomena. On the "scene" there is often an overwhelming atmosphere of bitchiness and competitiveness. Friends are fair-weather, at best. Actual, honest friendships are rare and the attitude of "looking out for eachother" is lacking. In fact, to ditch your mates for the prospect of something more exciting is commonplace.

Perhaps this is a negative and critical view of the gay and lesbian scene, but it was what I witnessed and experienced while I was going out regularly and reflects what a lot of other people have encountered.

This may not have much to do with the topic of World AIDS Day. It makes me proud that we become unified and show we care about such an important issue. But I do find it a little disappointing that we come together to demonstrate our solidarity, compassion and concern for one another on so few occasions.
Vanessa