Friday, November 28, 2008

Australia.....I Love It!! (the movie that is)

Before I really get into this post, I would like to say how annoyed I am with the world on their treatment of Nicole Kidman. Why does everybody seem to dislike her so much? I mean, it's not like she has done anything so terrible. Has she? (well, except for maybe Bewitched, The Stepford Wives and that god forsaken Fur). Ok, her forehead doesn't move but is that reason enough to dislike here? Her acting is good, I mean she is an Oscar winner and a Golden Globe winner plus been nominated again for both so her acting does have some merit. It's the typical Aussie thing. Let's bash a success story......Anyway, that's my rant on that subject, now let me tell you about Australia.

IT'S FRICKING FANTASTIC!!! I'm sure there will be some people who will comment on this negatively, but can I just say (without sounding like a big bloody girl) that i was sobbing at the end of the movie. Sobbing so much that I overheard my friend say to his bf "we can't leave the cinema until Scott's got himself together." I will admit that the first 15 minutes were a little too slapstick for me but after that initial time, the movie just found its feet and off it went. i was hooked, mesmerized and glued to my seat for the next 2hrs and 20 mins. Mrs Kidman-Urban's acting is great. Her comedic moments had me in stitches and if there is one "bad" thing I could say about Hugh Jackman, it would be that he should have been naked throughout the entire film. My God!!! that man IS the sexiest man alive.
Overall, the movie, to me, is almost a cinematic masterpiece. Yes there are cliches aplenty, but its meant to be cliched. The acting is top notch, visually it is stunning and it is such an emotional ride that I was literally exhausted on leaving the cinema. It is obviously influenced my movies from a different era and if anybody does not get a tear in their eye atleast 3 times during the course of the film, then they are just too hard for words. This movie will not win, or likely be nominated for any awards as every critic out there is panning it purely because it is directed by a man with an over inflated ego and acted by a woman who cannot seem to move her face from the eyebrows up, but I love her! and this movie! (oh, I love Hugh Jackman to!)

6 comments:

Monty said...

Thanks goodness there is someone out there willing to say how much he enjoyed the movie! I'm yet to see it but am dying to!!! Can't wait! Will have to see if I'm a blubbering mess by the end or not! Ya big girl!!! LOL

The Mutant said...

Hmmm, I'm just going to pass on this one if thats okay. Might hire it at a later date of something. Now let us never discuss Nicole or Baz ever again!

Monty said...

Kezz, you and I shall have to have a disagreement about our Nic and Baz! Love 'em !!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Slapstick?? Cliched?? They aren't complementary desciptions of any movie. Haven't seen it, probably won't.

scottiejt said...

Monty - I'm with you. I like "Australia's own Nicole" and as much as Baz shits me, I do like his movies.

Kezza - Well, we've only disagreed on the one thing, so thats ok. :)

Anonymous - I actually said the slapstick I didnt get into and I can tell your one of these tall poppy people arent you. :)

Victor said...

I like to support Aussie movies, even if they are over marketed, and will be seeing it with friends on Thursday night.