Thursday, November 20, 2008

Schroeder and Snoopy.....




When I was a kid I was obsessed beyond belief with Peanuts. Not the salted kind but the comic strip. I had 3 favourites. Lucy cos she was such a cranky bitch, Snoopy cos he was just so adorably cute and Schroeder cos he was aloof, sweet and I liked the colour of his hair.  I had the snoopy stuffed toy and I had soooooo many of the comic books, and now I have the dvd's. I actually have 3 volumes!!!! I find something quite comforting and safe and secure about these characters. Is that an odd thing to say? I'm not sure, but I distinctly remember when I was a child and I used to lock myself away for hours reading the Peanuts books, it gave me this sense of belonging. I almost felt like I was part of them, part of their gang. I was a real loner when I was young so maybe that's why I enjoyed reading about a gang of friends and their a crazy dog with a crazy bird as a mate. I wanted to be part of this group and by reading and letting my imagination run away with me I did become a part of it. Anyway, today I watched an episode and I was transported back in time. For an hour I was that child again and my childhood is not something I would ever want to relive, but today, only for an hour, I did want to relive it and relive it I did. I think I may do the same again tomorrow......

3 comments:

The Mutant said...

I used to love Peanuts too, I had so many of the books, but when I moved out of home I didn't take them with me and I think my mother has since sold them all, which is a shame. I'd love to read through them again. When I was going to school I had a snoopy back-pack which was the coolest thing ever. It even had snoopy in a "joe cool" t-shirt printed on it just to prove how cool it was!

scottiejt said...

Another peanuts lover!!! My favourite was always the way the grown ups talked. Used to crack me up.....and still does....

The Mutant said...

Ha ha... me too! In fact I tend to picture my accountant, poiliticians or my boss sounding just like that which alawys makes me grin - they must think I'm a little bit 'touched' some times!